Writing Struggles

As book one of Vampire of Vadin continues on in the publishing process, I have been working on writing book two called Stephan's Monster. There's a story in my head, but it seems every word forward is a struggle. It's as if my characters are refusing to talk to me. I'm at the half way point now, and I'm sure I'll be adding and rewriting things, but that urge to want to finish quickly is hard to ignore.

However, I have discovered something. Something I have actually know for a while as I have had the same experience when painting.

Sometimes it's best to step away and work on something else rather than force yourself to continue with no ending in sight. In terms of writing, forcing the words out just guarantees an extensive rewrite (which I found out as I have rewritten chapter five of Stephan's Monster twice now)

So what I did was start focusing on the first book of another series called the Shifter Kingdom.  The book is called Yuka's Freedom (could change, but that is what it is right now) and so far the story is clear to me, the characters are talking, and I see a way forward.

I'll, of course, finish both books, but by stepping back I'm giving myself more time to consider what the best way is for my characters to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment