First Drafts and Editing

I have officially finished the first draft of Vampires of Vadin book 2: Stephan's Monster. YAY! But now comes the not so fun part...editing. The process where you can end up rewriting a paragraph about ten times until it is completely different from how you first wrote it.

However, it is necessary and an important part of the writing process, most of the time you can only benefit from it. So over the next week or so I'll read my book over about three times. But for me, it will not end there, as after my many edits there is one last step. A step that I would honestly suggest all writers undertake.

I sit back, load my book into a text to speech program and just listen. Doing this is an excellent way to catch all the little mistakes you make, the ones that your mind somehow fixes when you're reading.  (or ones you missed when you were sleep deprived because you thought it was a good idea to stay up all night watching Netflix... it happens)

 It also helps you in other ways. Just listening to how your words flow when spoken can help you spot possible dialog and internal thoughts that maybe don't read as smoothly as they should. Of course, if you rather not bother with a program (which I get as the voices are a bit robotic, especially if you use one that is free) you could always read it out loud to yourself.  However, I would still highly recommend using a program, so your focus isn't split between reading it and listening for mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment